Friday, November 24, 2017

Help! My Yoga Practice Isn't Improving As I'd Like


No matter where we are in our journey, we will always want to improve. The want to achieve those amazing poses can creep up on us. The journey of making our way into advanced poses can be very rewarding. The self satisfaction that comes from the mat can be a very healing experience.

We do not need to force our way into progress; quite the contrary. When practicing yoga routinely, progress is inevitable. It will come because it must come. Not too long into your yoga journey, you can see your own progress and it will motivate you to keep going. 

Puppy Pose Improvement
I always get a thrill when I show improvement on a specific pose, no matter how simple the pose is. It makes me feel proud of the dedication I have put in towards my practice and myself. That is a gift from the Universe, that I thank for regularly. Yoga always seems to surprises me on what my body is actually able to accomplish. As someone who struggles with pain and functionality, this is a huge gift, that allows me to pour trust into my body.


Please, let me be clear. Yoga is NOT about getting into these poses that we desire to achieve. Yoga is about the emotions we experience, lessons we learn, and journey on the way there. While the progress we achieve is delectable, it is important to be in the present and accept where you are now. It is important to show ourselves compassion, rather than being hard on ourselves. Yoga should be giving you relief, rather than adding more to your "need accomplish" list inside your head.




There won't always be progress.
And that's okay.

Yoga is yoga. It is still yoga, no matter what variation or modification you need to make. Some days you will be able to do a pose with ease, and sometimes you won't get close to it. Yoga continues to teach me to accept myself and as I am. Practicing yoga with chronic illnesses, or pain, comes with it's own experiences. Although, I do feel like this applies to most yogis.

Don't look for the progress. Look for calmness.
 Look for the invisible progress that you are making.
Celebrate where you are, and allow the rest to come.
 
Thank you for stopping by! Your presence is very much appreciated. <3




Disclaimer: While I am a Certified Yoga Teacher, I am not a Doctor. Certification transcript #3287182. Not accepting clients at the moment. Anything posted here or on social media platforms is for informational purposes only. Consult your health care practitioner before beginning any exercise or health regime. You are responsible for your health and well being, and In2it Yogin cannot be held accountable for your personal actions of your own practice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words with the Universe

  Thank you for stopping by <3